Serves 4–6 as a starter or light meal
There’s something almost dessert-like when you combine roast butternut squash and caramelised onion. Throw in salty parmesan and peppery rocket (arugula) and you have a superb salad.
- 1 large (about 1.2 kg / 2 lb 10 oz) butternut squash, cut into thin wedges
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 250 ml (8½ fl oz / 1 cup) balsamic vinegar
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 2 handfuls rocket (arugula)
- 150 g (5½ oz / 1 cup) pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 100 g (3½ oz) shaved Parmigiano Reggiano (or other good parmesan)
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Spread the butternut squash onto the prepared tray and drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a heavy-based oven-proof frying pan over high heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and thyme, reduce the heat to low, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15–20 minutes until tender.
To serve, arrange the butternut squash wedges on a platter. Top with the roasted onions and sprinkle the rocket, pine nuts and parmesan over the top.